Wednesday, June 17, 2009

once again, no pictures

I was going to post a blog at Maija's today, but instead I went over to my Aunt Lovie and cousin Buddy's, who passed away in a fire in December of 2007. The house had not been cleaned out after it burned almost to the ground. Her daughter decided this year when the City did their large item pick up, that most of her mother's house would be torn down, put in in a pile, and picked up. Today was extra special, becuase it would have been Buddy's 7th birthday, and he loved tractors and things like that. (which of course were used in the process of tearing the house down) It was such an 'eye sore' as Saima called it to pass by Aunt Lovie's house. I have to say, even though I just flagged most of the time we were out there, I enjoyed being able to watch everything come apart. It was relaxing in a sense. Sure I passed by her house plenty of times and it was obvious that it had burnt down, but I never actually went to the house. I missed her funeral because I was on a trip to Las Vegas. It will be nice to pass by her property and see that the burnt house is gone, and a fresh new start is available.

On a different note, Cathy's husband caught an Ugruk a couple nights ago, and on Sunday and Monday, Zach and I spent many hours at Maija's house, helping with what we could. Zach had only seen seals alive and in the water, so he thought it was pretty cool. We did however, have to do the 'little kid' jobs... like cut the excess meat off of the blubber and cut the blubber in strips. We even took the four wheeler out to toward the cemetary and pick stinkweed for the floor of the drying room. I have to say, picking stinkweed during this time of the year is no easy task. The old dead stinkweed is still connected, and the plant itself is only about 5 or 6 inches high. We filled 4 trash bags about 2/3 full though.

YAY Maija, Dean, and the family is back from their vacation, which means no more ducks, and no more stinky loose dogs. whoop whoop.

I am off to bed, thankful that someone in the heavens was looking down on us today and blessing us with PERFECT weather for tearing a house down. I have a feeling i'll sleep like a baby tonight.

1 comment: